SSI GARDEN CLUB NOVEMBER PARTY and AGM
Wednesday, 27 November 2019
Special Guest Speaker
Jeff de Jong
‘In the Eye of the Storm’
We are pleased to have Jeff de Jong as our special guest speaker at our AGM.
Jeff is no stranger to Salt Spring. He has presented to us several times before on a variety of topics and has also been involved in some of our workshops. He will be sharing the lighter side about the gardening season and stories that come with it.
Jeff is a Horticultural Instructor in the Continuing Education Department at UVic.
He is a garden designer and is passionate about creating beautiful spaces for plants and people.
He leads tours around the world and will be going on his seventh trip to New Zealand in January 2020.
He loves photography and uses as many of his own photos as possible in his presentations.
Come on out and enjoy what will be a very entertaining evening!
If you did not get an opportunity to sign up for the AGM at last months meeting, follow this link (AGM RSVP) to add your name to the guest list.
|6:30 - 7:30 pm||Social Time, Cash Bar, Buffet of Appetizers and Desserts|
|7:30 - 7:50 pm||Annual Budget, Member Awards, Executive Elections|
|7:50 - 9:00 pm||Special Guest Speaker
Jeff de Jong
'In the Eye of the Storm'
Jeff will be sharing the lighter side about the gardening season and stories that come with it.
Meetings are held at Meaden Hall (on Blain Road, across from Greenwoods) the fourth Wednesday of each month (except for December, January, July and August), starting at 6:45 pm, and ending by 9 pm. In November, we hold our AGM.
- Every meeting features a speaker. Many are local, but in the past, speakers have come from as far as Australia. Recent speakers have included Brian Minter, Carolyn Herriot, Linda Gilkeson and Bill Terry (the rare Blue Poppy man).
- A Parlour Show is always held to test our skills in growing local treasures. An annual prize is awarded for highest aggregate points over the year.
- The Library table is available with an excellent selection of books. Other books are available from the archive and can be retrieved on request.
- Mentor Gardeners are always present to provide solutions
for your gardening challenges.
- Refreshments are available for a dollar (coffee or tea, and a tasty treat).
23 October: Bernie Dinter on ‘Flowering Bulbs: Natures Gift that Keeps on Giving’
26 June: Linda Gilkeson on ‘Gardening and Climate Change’
22 May: Jeff de Jong ‘Garden Jewels for Landscaping’
24 April: Robin Jenkins and Robias Carson talked about ‘Tiny Gardeners: Salt Spring and Gulf Island Schools’
27 March: Moe Wendt presented ‘Permaculture: Principles and Practice’
27 February: Donna Balzer ‘Vegetable Gardening: Tips and Tricks for Growing Great Grub’
24 October: Kristen Miskelly spoke on ‘Native Plant Gardening for Biodiversity’
June 27: Mitchell Sherrin spoke to us about “Fire-smart Landscaping”.
May 23: Connie Kuramoto will joined us to talk about “The Lazy Gardener”.
April 25: Julia Common brought a talk about Bees, called “Hives for Humanity”.
March 28: To be confirmed
February 28: Brian Minter joined us in February for a talk entitled “Dramatic Changes in the World of Gardening”.